Sunday, December 21, 2008

vmware

I decided that I'd been wasting far too much time playing video games (Disgaea DS is my current addiction), so I figured I'd try vmware workstation. I've downloaded several linux distros, and it's fun firing them up and installing them, and evaluating them while still using Vista. I ordered another 4 gigs of ram, so that will help a lot with this. My first impressions of Kubuntu 8.10 is that it is very incomplete. I need to try Ubuntu, from what I've seen on a friend's computer it is all tied together a lot better. Still, I'm noticing some improvements from 8.04. I don't think I'd recommend Kubuntu to a brand new linux user just yet...I'm still looking for a distro that does a nice job of tying everything together with kde4. I've heard good things about Mandriva... I'll download the dvd tonight while at work. Also the Adept package manager was upgraded to the new version, and in my opinion it's a major downgrade on the interface. It simplifies it to a ridiculous degree. I'm still not used to KDE 4, it's a lot different from KDE 3 not only visually, but also just in the way it handles. However, it does look nice.. I've had a couple months to get used to Vista, and I actually am kindof preferring it right now. I guess it's sortof a big project getting Gentoo installed and getting everything the way I like it (may go back to KDE 3 for the time being, etc.) There are both things I like and dislike about Vista... one thing is for sure, my outlook has changed a lot since getting a new computer and trying out a bunch of operating systems. I used to hate Windows a lot (justifiably) but now I understand it has it's place. Mostly, as a game platform, but also for the large amount of little programs that are only for Windows. I don't mean important programs you can't live without, just a lot of non-essential and random programs. It sortof goes both ways, but I've found that a lot of the linux programs I've been used to for years really are superior for what they are used for, as compared to their window's counterparts. Anyways, it's all out there and it's all available, so this time I may have a hard time getting rid of a Windows hard drive... Guess I was in the mood to type about my computer for a little bit. It's always fun to play around and learn new stuff!

No comments: