Wednesday, October 10, 2007

irony

Found last.fm like in April, same time I found my little pink ipod (gone now). Also, started using Amarok pretty intensively at that time. Have gotten used to rating every song I hear the first time to get that "last played" date in the database, as well as a playcount, and most importantly a rating, in the Amarok database. Of course, last.fm is fun too. Anyways, my top song on last.fm, "A lack of color" by Death Cab for Cutie, I was in the mood to listen to tonight so I pulled it up. And while I rate a lot of songs 5 of 5 stars just cause they impress upon me that they are awesome (say just about every Meshuggah, Slayer, Opeth, etc. song) (also other albums I give about every song 5 stars, is fun to find a new album and when it's over realize I gave every song 5 stars heh, is how Amarok is so fun, it uses a database to keep track of all the stats etc. Of course, upon 2nd or 3rd or whatever listen I often revise my ratings, is a way of choosing what songs. Anyways, Amarok scores songs too, and I've found workarounds (learned some sql programming) to make it more like I like it :) Every 11th of every month I subtract 1 point of a max 99 point rating from every song in my collection, in the database. That way slowly, My favorite songs really are on top, because I listen to them most recently you know, and on a month by month basis (30 days) you can listen to a lot of songs so I feel 1 month is a good time to subtract 1/100 of score :) Otherwise I already was ending up with like a ton of songs with almost max score, and this way I have some differentiation. It is amazing how fast time flies :P I look at song fresh in head and it says I last listened to it 1 week ago. Anyways the reason I decided to write this blog post, is my top song on last.fm, and it has many dozen plays in my car or stupid-assed cd-player before it broke (before I bought ipod? I dunno) anyways I know I played it a lot, I noticed a little bit ago I had rated it 4.5 stars on first listen. I fixed it, but ya is fun to just go with flow and rate whatever and not worry :) Peace out!!! (pretty sure I misplaced a parenthesis somewhere in this post)

No comments: