Monday, April 06, 2009

a windows port of one of my favorite linux utilities

Use this program all the time under the name kdirstat.  I had found other "comparable" windows programs 5 or 6 months ago but it never occured to me to see if my favorite kde utility for this purpose had a windows port.  Am glad I checked, it's not only comparable but it adds very usable features and some visual upgrade too.  That being said I've been a little out of the linux loop for awhile.  But still this was a great surprise today.

One thing I can say which I was surprised was, was it's speed.  Other free windows utilities did something similar but very basic.  And took waaay longer.   Like I found it more worthwild to switch back to other thing I was doing and just forget about it and come back later.

But nope, this program is soo fast.  Much Much Much better than anything else I've seen.  And is exactly like the program I have preferred on Linux.  I guess I really have sold my soul to Microsoft, recommending good ports from Linux to Vista :)  Is least of my worries so :)

Ya but this is better.  It may be in linux port or not now, I don't know but.  In this version you can easily choose any 2 or more local drives, even if 2 of them are smb shares off my "main" computer even after all these months, my old faithful linux with all the diskspace.  It lists those drives as local and the way I finally got those shares set up it really is local.  But this windows version (and hopefully new linux versions) let you just choose them and it puts them all in it's visual representation.  It's better than a pie graph, but it's not a line chart or something.  It really is neat, you should try it if you want to see a visual representation of how big your dirs are compared to the whole mass of the diskspace you scanned, especially compared to other things.  With nice color coding and some shiny effects.  Highly recommend either Linux (kdirstat) or windows (windirstat).  Very useful utility!


WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics


No comments: